Hugh Taylor Birch State Park
Hugh Taylor Birch State Park began life as the homestead of a true pioneer who spent his life working to maintain the natural beauty of the beach and area. He came on a visit, fell in love with the land and built his home here.
Upon his death, Hugh Taylor Birch donated his estate to be a public park for everyone to enjoy. Florida rewarded his efforts by naming it the Hugh Taylor Birch State Park.
The park is located right next to Ft. Lauderdale Beach, and is one of the most frequented beaches in all of Florida. There are opportunities here for beach lounging, canoeing, kayaking and fishing.
Inline skating (roller-blade) is a popular activity here. There is a 1.9 mile drive to skate or bike on which allows you to see a lot of beautiful wildlife.
If you prefer to admire the fauna and flora on foot, there is a 20 minute or so walk through the forest on the Coastal Hammock Trail that is popular.
There are lots of native plants here and also some planted by Mr. Birch himself that are still thriving today.
You will no doubt come in contact with some of the small animal residents darting around and enjoying the park.
Take a tour through Hugh Taylor Birch’s dream home, which is now a visitor center containing historical and environmental information on this incredibly beautiful park and surroundings.
Visit the park and Enjoy
- An underground tunnel that provides easy access to the beach
- Swimming, boating, canoe/kayaking and saltwater fishing
- Pavilions with grills available for cooking out and picnicking
- Nature trail through the forest for hiking or leisurely strolling
- Popular destination for primitive youth camping
- Open 365 days, including holidays, 8 a.m. to sunset, nominal fees.
- Beach opens at 9am.
- Florida State Parks may require entrance fees per person or per car
What to Do: For an education experience for children and those of all ages, visit the Museum of Discovery and Science and IMAX 3D Theater.
This great museum makes learning fun and even has a special Discovery Center geared towards children 7 years and younger.
Ft. Lauderdale, close to the park, is a very popular vacation destination because of all of the things to do here. See
for a myriad of things to do, places to eat and accommodations to fit every budget.
Hugh Taylor Birch State Park 3109 E. Sunrise Boulevard Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (954)564-4521
Back to Florida State Parks from Hugh Taylor
Back to Home from Hugh Taylor Birch State Park
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.