San Pedro Underwater State Park
The complete name of this park is San Pedro Underwater Archaeological Preserve State Park and it is definitely worth a visit for an afternoon full of historical beauty and an almost magical experience.
At San Pedro Underwater State Park, you can see a shipwreck up close for an interesting experience and there are three ways to do so.
The shipwreck is a Spanish flotilla
- Scuba divers get the best views as they dive deep with oxygen tanks and investigate all the nooks and crannies way below the surface.
- Snokelers get fabulous views also, even though they are limited as to depth and time under water.
- The third way is a tour on a glass bottom boat, which is what I do and it never gets boring. In fact, it is a great way to keep your hair dry and still get great glimpses of the habitat of ocean creatures you wouldn't get otherwise.
that set sail from Havana in 1733 but never made it to its destination because of a terrible hurricane. Who knew such a tragic event could leave behind such a treasure!
The shipwreck still displays the original ship anchors and a lot of the ship has been reconstructed, including concrete canon replicas, ballast and bricks.
If you decide to get the full experience underwater and snorkel or scuba dive, there is an underwater nature trail that allows you to observe beautiful tropical fish and other ocean wildlife.
Visit San Pedro State Park and enjoy
- Historic shipwreck full of interesting history
- Underwater nature/ ocean life
- Swimming, scuba diving, snorkeling, canoeing/ kayaking
- Florida State Parks may require entrance fees per person or per car
Things to do: San Pedro State Park is located in the vicinity of Key Colony Beach and Islamorada Key. Plan an afternoon of exploration at A Deep Blue Dive where you can experience a ride on a fun underwater vessel such as the “Turtle,” “Sea Diver” or “Island Time”
On this virtual tour, you explore the only living coral reef in North America truly a beautiful sight filled with colorful and interesting marine life of all kinds. This would surely be a tour the entire family would enjoy and talk about for years.
Where to eat: Try Sparky’s Landing for phenomenal shrimp and seafood choices.
Where to stay: Try the lovely Key Colony Beach Motel, a great Bed and Breakfast with comfortable rooms and a beautiful view.
San Pedro Underwater State Park is located at U.S. 1 Mile Marker 85.5 Islamorada, Florida 33036 Phone (305)664-2540
Back to Florida State Parks from San Pedro Park
Back to Home from San Pedro Underwater State Park
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.