Lignumvitae Key State
So, what does Lignumvitae Key State Botanical Site have to do with the Garden of Eden?
Lignum vitae, a unique tree species found in the park was believed to be present in the Garden of Eden. The full name of this park, named after the lignum vitae, is Lignumvitae Key State Botanical Site.
Lignum Vitae actually translates to “wood of life,” which is suitable for this Eden-like island. This untouched tropical forest contains 332 acres of trees and plant wildlife that are simply amazing to behold.
The barrier island is only accessible by boat or charter, which can be found at Indian Fill Key at Mile Marker 78 or through Robbie’s Marina or other local marinas.
Learn about the historical formation of the keys and enjoy the beautiful botanical gardens on this beautiful island.
Although there is no swimming at the park, nature lovers will be sure to enjoy this peaceful and beautiful safe haven for many ‘heavenly’ unique plant and bird species.
Visit the park and Enjoy
- Tropical forest for nature observation and hiking
- Snorkeling, boating, canoe/kayaking and saltwater fishing
- Boat tours available, as well as guided nature tours twice daily on most days
- Beautiful botanical gardens
- Visitor center built from coral rock dedicated to the nature and history of the area
- Open Friday through Sunday, 8 a.m. to 5pm, nominal fees- call ahead to check availability of tours
- Florida State Parks may require entrance fees per person/ for boat/ charter
What to do: Get in some swimming and water sports for the kids at nearby Anne’s Beach
Where to eat: Try one of Chef Joseph’s famous creations at The Hungry Tarpoon which offers seafood and American choices.
There are also a lot of other great restaurants in the area, but this is one that you just can’t miss while in Islamorada
Where to stay: If you’re on a budget, Harbor Lights Motel is a great choice for simplicity, beauty and peace and quiet with a friendly and courteous staff
Lignumvitae Key Botanical State Park is located at Offshore Island-MM 78.5 Oceanside Islamorada, Florida 33036 Phone (305)664-2540
Back to Florida State Parks from Lignumvitae Key
Back to Home from Lignumvitae Key State