Indian Key State Historic Site
Indian Key State Historic Site,a real life island escape, is accessible only by boat or charter, making it feel like a real deserted island destination!
There is a 3 hour boat tripavailable from Indian Fill Key at Mile Marker 78 to either Indian Key or another island called Lignumvitae Key (also featured in our Florida State Parks).
Indian Key State Historic Sitewas inhabited by Native Americans for hundreds of years until around 1830 when a European settler began buying property and building on the land.
Some of the remnants of the early community still remain and provide an educational and entertaining experience for visitors of Indian Key.
Spend a few hours boating, canoeing, kayaking or fishing and enjoy all of the wonderful ocean wildlife. Experience beauty and simplicity in a secluded and serene location.
Reasons to visit Indian Key State Park
- Relaxing beach for sunning, viewing the beautiful water and sea animals
- Beachcombing, shelling, swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving, boating, canoe/kayaking and saltwater fishing
- Rent powerboats or kayaks from Robbie’s Marina or other local marinas
- Snorkeling tours available through local marinas to enjoy the natural beauty of the ocean
- Open 365 days, including holidays, 8 a.m. to sunset, nominal fees
- Florida State Parks may require entrance fees per person/ for charter or boat rides to the island
What to do:
While you’re in Islamorada, visit Theater of the Sea
on Islamorada where you can find enjoyable activities for the whole family, including great shows for the kids such as a parrot or dolphin show, or petting sea lions and dolphins. Enjoy a day of laid back, carefree fun with the whole family.
Where to eat: Try Kaiyo which offers delicious Japanese food and infamous sushi. For a great Steakhouse/ Seafood restaurant try Morada Bay, which has choices for all ages.
Where to stay: The Caribbean Resort at Sea Isle offers privacy and comfort in a beautiful location for a reasonable cost. There are a number of other hotels in the area, but this ranks among the best.
Indian Key Historic State Park is located at U.S. 1 Mile Marker 85.5 Islamorada, Florida 33036 Phone- (305)664-2540
Back to Florida State Parks from Indian Key
Back to Home from Indian Key State Historic Site