Fort Zachary Taylor State Park
Fort Zachary Taylor State Park, is a hidden gem and often referred to by visitors as “the best beach in the Florida Keys.” (psst: we agree)
Not only does the park offer great swimming and water activities but you can also observe a piece of Civil War history up close.
The historic Fort Zachary Taylor was built to protect the city in 1845 and was used for several other military missions throughout the years.
It displays the largest collection of Civil War cannons in the United States today. History buffs will certainly enjoy going on one of the daily tours of the fort or experiencing the historical information and exhibits displayed in the museum and all around the park.
Spend lazy days on the beautiful beach full of soft white sand and enjoy some of the best swimming in the Keys, or embark on a fishing excursion in the 33 foot deep ship channel and try your luck at catching various saltwater fish.
If you’re an experienced scuba diver, you can catch some of the best deep sea diving in the Florida Keys here.
The clarity of the water provides great opportunities to view tons of tropical fish and many different types of corals so bring your snorkel mask and fins and prepared to be dazzled.
This park is a 'must see' whether you’re looking to learn a bit about Civil War history or just enjoy and explore a very beautiful beach, a visit to Fort Zachary Taylor State Park, more commonly known to locals as Fort Zach or Fort Taylor, is definitely in order.
Reasons to come to this beautiful beach
- Beautiful, clean beach for sunning, stunning white sand and azure water
- All water and beach sports, , shelling, swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving, boating, canoe/kayaking and saltwater fishing
- Concession stand with gifts and snack bar, picnic tables and shelters, , restroom facilities and showers to rinse off salt and sand
- Ship channel entrance to Key West Harbor for fishing and boating
- Nature trails for birding, hiking and walking
- Popular location for bird watching
- Romantic spot for many occasions, including weddings
- Open 365 days, including holidays, 8 a.m. to sunset, nominal fees
- Florida State Parks may require entrance fees per person or per car
What to Do: Enjoy a great tour and meal aboard Dream Chaser Charters, or one of the countless other options in Key West.
For the Kids, check out the Florida Keys Eco-Discovery Center which is a great nature/ science museum for adults and children of all ages.
Where to Eat: Check out Bad Boy Burrito for some of the best Mexican food that’s ever hit your taste buds.
Key West offers a ton of restaurants to choose from, but if you’re looking for something that’s kid friendly with reasonable prices and a wide variety of food choices, be sure to check out Salute! On The Beach.
Where to Stay: Try Southernmost on the Beach which offers breathtaking views with easy, neutral access to all of Key West’s greatest attractions, including the park!
Fort Zachary Taylor State Park is located on Southard Street in Key West, Florida 33041 Phone- (305)292-6713
Back to State Parks from Fort Zachary Taylor State Park
Return to Home from Fort Zachary Taylor State Park