Fort Clinch State Park
Fort Clinch State Park has a 19th century fortress and a military history to go with it from the Second Seminole War.
The fortress was never finished but after build and rebuild, what is there has been preserved so that today visitors can get a glimpse of what an actual military fort was like during the 19th century.
If you have a passion for historical landmarks and especially enjoy military history, this is a great destination for you and the family.
Not your typical Florida state park, Fort Clinch offers unique activities and entertainment, such as the military re-enactments that take place on the first weekend of each month.
Actors portray Civil war soldiers in 1864 and demonstrate military drills and other military base activities that took place. It’s really interesting to watch a piece of history unfold right before your very eyes!
Fort Clinch is located in Fernandina Beach on the northernmost tip of Amelia Island and provides the main attraction in this area. There is fun to be had by those of all ages and is an educational experience as well.
Reasons to visit Fort Clinch State Park
- 1,100 acre park with historical buildings and artifacts
- Beachcombing, shelling, swimming, hiking, picnicking
- Beach, paved road for bike riding and walking, 6 mile long hiking trail
- Shower and restroom facilities, changing station
- Two campgrounds- One on the Amelia River with restroom/ shower facilities and 41 campsites; another on the Atlantic Beach with 21 campsites and restrooms/ showers as well. Both campsites offer primitive and youth camping
- Pets are allowed in the park, just not permitted in buildings, boardwalk or beach areas
- Open 365 days, including holidays, 8 a.m. to sunset, nominal fees
- Florida State Parks may require entrance fees per person or per car
Things to Do: There are plenty of activities right at Fort Clinch State Park but there are also a lot of activities surrounding the park on Amelia Island such as Golfing, River Cruises and Charters.
Where to Eat: The park does have picnic areas with grills for your convenience, but you can also venture out further onto Amelia Island to experience the delicious seafood such as that at Fancy Sushi.
For the best pizza on the island, visit Moon River Pizza.
Where to Stay: If you and the family enjoy camping then staying in one of the park campgrounds offers beautiful scenery and a great camping experience.
If you prefer to stay indoors Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island offers many hotel options, such as the Comfort Suites Fernandina Beach or the quaint Beachside Motel.
Back to Florida State Parks from Fort Clinch
Back to Home from Fort Clinch State Park
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.